So, this is really more for me and for my memories...but I'd like to share it with all of you if you'd like to read it! It's going to be as long and detailed as I can make it because I do not want to forget a thing about these long days! :)
Monday - We went to the doctor and he was not moving around as much as he should be. Even during the ultra sound they could not get him to move much. I was concerned, and the doc said he was really squished. We decided to induce the next day and get him out.
Tuesday - I rested and cleaned and ate all day. At 5 PM they inserted Cervadil and we tried to sleep the best we could.
Wed - We started Pitocin at 7 AM and had made no progress with the Cervadil. They were hopeful that with the pitocin, we would be making progress soon. Around 8 I was dialated to 3 CM and about 80% effaced. They decided the doc would break my water around 830 and increased my dose of pitocin, they were very optimistic that I would fly once this happened. By about noon I was dialated to 5 and almost 100% effaced. Our nurse continued to reassure me that things were progressing well and his head just needed to come down. We bounced on a birthing ball and walked the halls and did all we could to get him to come down and help me progress a bit quicker. Around 5 we also got our epidural ( IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!). I was feeling great and ready to get rolling. SO, we were considered to be in "active labor" from about noon until 8 PM and had made no progress. Awesome. I was maxed out on pitocin and his head was not coming down into the canal the way that it needed to. Our nurses switched because of the time and our friend Beth came in (PRAISE JESUS!!). She checked me and was very honest with us and we appreciated her so much. She told me that it was a very long time to not make progress and that she didn't know that his head would be able to correct and come into the position that we needed it to. :( I was devastated. I melted down and just bawled for a while. My one and only request or plan was that I did NOT want to have a C-section...now my one and only goal was falling apart. She called our doc and they approved to up my pitocin 4 more past the "max dose" and said to give me another hour to see if I could make progress. Well, by 9PM we still were at 5 cm. They gave me the option to continue laboring with that dosage of pitocin until morning or do the C-section. We asked our wonderful nurse what her opinion was and she said that she was fairly certain that his head was stuck and that our end result would be a C anyway. We appreciated her honesty and prayed together and waited for a peace about one decision or the next. We finally decided that we would rather have me be miserable and have to have surgery than risk him possibly going into fetal distress or his heartrate dipping. So, once we told them our decision our room was in a flurry. Nurses and our doctor and the anesthesiologist were all just rushing around getting things done and explaining what was going to happen. We told them our decision at 9 and I was being cut open by 10. That amazes me still! They increased my epidural dose, made me drink this horrific shot of something to help me not puke, strapped me down and rolled me to the OR. I was shaking uncontrollably from the meds and nerves and with everything in me wanted to say "just kidding. I'll just leave him in there k?". I was still pretty calm until the separated Matt and I. They had him wait outside while they tested me and did the first cut. It was such a relief when I finally could see his face and he started just talking to me. Once he came in it was a matter of minutes and we heard our little boy let out a LARGE cry! We both had tears in our eyes and it was instantly 100% worth it. They let Matt go over and watch the tests and measurements while I was getting put back together. The instant Landon was put in Matt's arms he was silent and content :) They came to see me and then left for a few minutes so I could get finished up. When I was wheeled into recovery they handed Landon to me and we nursed right away. The nurse was so happy and impressed with his latch and it made me so proud!!
Since the surgery I have been incredibly sore and have been trying very hard to get this breastfeeding thing down. There have been a few tears of pain and frustration, but it has just been a wonderful experience all in all. We could not be more in love or more happy. Everyone told me how terrible and exhausting these days would be...I agree that they are tiring...but I think they are fabulous! We have been waiting for this sweet little boy for so long! I'm just trying to enjoy every single second b/c I know he will never be this little ever again. He is perfect and we are doing so well considering everything! Please pray for my milk supply and for some rest for Matt and I if you get a chance. We will have more updates whenever I get another free second! :)
congratulations!!! he is adorable.
ReplyDeletei was pretty devastated about my c-section. but not so devastating: being forbidden from vacuuming for 6 months. (oh wait, was that supposed to be weeks...?) also forbidden: any sort of cleaning, cooking and anything else i didn't want to do.
also, breastfeeding was difficult for me with ella. painful, frustrating, and why can't she eat enough so she'll quit screaming her head off??? hang in there. it won't last forever... it just feels like it right now.
feel free to email me if you need vent to someone who won't judge you if you can't stop crying. slnaimo@yahoo.com
You crack me up! I also am stoked about the forbidden housework. Haha. Yes, the breastfeeding is OH SO Painful! But getting better...I think. :) Was breastfeeding easier the next time? Did you just know what you were doing so it was easier?
ReplyDeleteHey congrats! Sorry to hear about the c-section, but isn't it amazing how once you hear your baby cry nothing else matters? You'll do great! Once you can start moving about and exercising the weight WILl come off! AND just in case you wanted/needed to know 2% of women give birth and fit back into their pre-pregnancy pants within weeks. 98% of women take a while for their hormones to level out and get into their skinny jeans so don't put too much pressure on yourself! It sounds like your husband is a champ and he won't care! Congrats! Happy for you guys!
ReplyDeleteYa. Matt doesn't even notice I'm pretty sure. I keep talking about the bump and he keeps just looking at me like he's not sure what i'm talking about and i'm like hELLO! You don't see that HUGE thing?! Haha. Thanks for the encouragement val!!
ReplyDelete