Today was Landon's first trip to the doctor. It was emotional for me for sure. I know I'll look back on it soon and laugh at my emotional state, but for today it was legit to me. The doctor had mostly great things to say. Everything was looking good, but he's lost a pound since birth and is looking a bit jaundice. So we had to take him to get his heel pricked and try to console him while they filled TWO viles of blood. It was horrific. I definitely cried a bit. I also cried about his weight. How is it possible to be working so hard to make milk and eat right and then your child to not gain any weight but actually lose even more?! That was a tough moment for me. But the doctor did not seem to be too concerned about his weight. She was much more concerned about his jaundice and told us that we could possibly have to go back to the hospital and put him under lights. That was it for me. I broke down and was trying so hard to hold it together...but it wasn't happening. We were there forever already! How could we go back? We held our breath for an hour or so and heard that they were high but not high enough to even have to get a billi blanket (thank you Jesus!). We prayed all afternoon and were so thankful for this wonderful answer!! :) So, for the next week we have to put him in indirect sunlight for 3 hours every day. Now that breastfeeding is going great I'm praying he will put weight back on quickly!! If so, then our next appointment should be wonderful and much less emotional!!
Question time:
For any momma,but esp C-section mommas...what on earth is with the huge bump still? When will it go away? What can I do?! I'm frustrated and don't want to even leave the house! It's so bad. HELP!
Ok so i didn't have a c-section, but it's all about your uterus--your uterus grows something like 200 times its original size so it just takes time for it to go down. I've actually heard that breastfeeding helps it go down faster....but it's SO normal!
ReplyDeletePS I'm actually really laid back about my kids (miraculously)but I freeeeaked out about taking Robbie to his first appt. I was worrieda bout being able to buckle him into his carseat, getting the carseat out of the car, getting him undressed and dressed again--Rob had a meeting and I MADE him come home and go with me! Everything gets easier, I promise!
I think Val is right, breastfeeding does help your uterus to shrink back down. I know there were times when I breastfed the first week and a half when I would actually feel contractions while he ate, it was my uterus contracting back down. So hopefully the more you feed him, the smaller you will get.
ReplyDeleteI also know what it is like for him to loose weight. Camden lost almost a pound also, that is normal. But I also was upset thinking I was not giving my baby enough food...however it did level out and he began to gain the weight, so don't worry! Persevere with breastfeeding and he will gain the weight back in no time! The more he breastfeeds, the more milk you will bring in for him. You can do it!
I know the first week is hard, trust me I never wanted to leave the house and I felt like life would never feel normal again. It does! So just make it through the rough days and know that there are such great days ahead. Get as much rest as you can, and snuggle that sweet boy you waited 9 long months to hold in your arms.
Hey Bree...first of all congrats, your little boy is adorable!! And secondly, I hope you don't mind me being nosy and giving you a little advice. I have 2 little ones who are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2. :D
ReplyDeleteAbout Landon's weight...it's nothing to worry about yet...ALL baby's lose weight the first couple of weeks and go below their birth weight, typically by 1 month old they are back to their birth weight. After one to two months if he's not gaining any weight then the doctor should become more concerned and give you some ideas about what to do.
My oldest Abby was in the hospital for the first 11 days of her life and it scared me to death everyday I went into the hospital. She contracted salmonella the day she was born and the only way to give medicine to a newborn is through iv - which they put in her head!!!! Freaked me out to no end, but everything went fine til she started showing signs of jaundice. That put me over the edge too :) But, I sat near a window when feeding her and I think they had some special lights at the hospital, but it went away quickly and no harm was done.
I think you're being a wonderful mother and the love and concern you have for that guy is enough to get him through anything he may have :)
Also, about your question of the left-over prego belly......SUCKS! LOL, but it goes away over time. I didn't have a c-section, but I looked 6 months pregnant days after giving birth. Breastfeeding does help, so try not to worry. Give it some time it will go down. And EVERYONE out there who sees you with that precious baby is NOT looking at your tummy :)
I really hope everything goes smoothly for you here on out and you love every moment you have with that beautiful boy.
~Kacey
Thank you all so much for your advice! I SO appreciate it. It is just very reassuring to know that everything is OK and that this is all normal! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is Kara, Caitlin Moloney's mom. She showed me your pictures and that led me to your blog. I had to chuckle a little. Everything you are sharing, and all of your questions, every new mother asks. Let me just say this. It is ALL normal. We aren't given a "How To" book when we give birth. But your mom figured it out, your grandma figured it out, and even Mary figured it out with her most precious child, and she had to lay him down on straw. God never gives us more than we can handle. You will one day look back on these early nervous days full of questions, and you will chuckle too. It will always be tough, just in different ways. As they get older, you no longer worry about the feedings and the weight, you worry about them dating and driving!! haha Your love will always get him through every trial and challenge he will encounter, and he will know he did it because you loved him. Take care, from one mom to another.
ReplyDeletewell... as far as the huge bump... my youngest is 18 months and its still there.
ReplyDeletebut that very well be from ice cream and chocolate.
(but i do remember a bump around the incision site for awhile. yeah, i know "awhile" doesn't really help. maybe a few weeks? a month? it slowly got better.)
hang in there. i hope you get sleep soon. nothing is worse than the psychotic, sleep-deprived mother stage. everything feels better when you get more sleep and the hormones even out.
and of course once those nipples stop searing in pain every time he latches on, the world will be a better place.
oh, and i remember a handful of friends being all proud of themselves saying, "i don't even need my pain meds anymore" after like 4 days post c-section. my opinion on the matter: no need to prove yourself. will there ever be another time in your life you have the "excuse" to be on narcotics? just saying... if it helps: keep the percocet flowing.
praying for you... :)
Steph you crack me up!! The bump has been getting better slowly. I'm finally noticing a bit of progress! You do not have a bump! U are so tiny! You are crazy!! And as far as sleep deprived goes..he slept in FOUR hour stretches last nite. I'm sure it was just a fluke but man I feel so much better it's ridiculous. The latching is still painful...I'm way ready for it to stop hurting...but it's getting better very slowly.
ReplyDeleteI am off the percocet but still taking the Motrin. I just felt like I didn't need it anymore. But thank you for all the advice and I love that you don't judge me!! :) I'm so open and honest...but sometimes I want to close up b/c people can be so harsh you know?