Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thankful day 16

Today I'm thankful for God's protection! With that comes the story of today.

My friend Beth and I went to A Scoop Above for some Gelato and playtime for our cute boys. :) We had a great lunch and time there and went to leave. I had books for her and the boys started playing with some rocks up on a sort of hill thing. They were totally fine and we were talking. Suddenly Landon hopped the little barrier thing and took off. I was screaming his name and looking at the parking lot and all the sudden I saw it. A car. Coming toward the entrance. Any mother's worst nightmare.

I started running and screaming his name in a total panic. He did that typical toddler move. Looked back and smiled and ran even faster. My heart just stopped. I knew that he would not miss that car coming and he was not stopping. I threw everything and kept running and just could not get there in time. It was the most horrifying and devastating moment I have ever had.

When I got to him and to the car the old man driving had stopped the car because he saw me (hadn't even had a chance to see Landon) and Landon's foot was still stuck under the tire!! I started hitting the car and was still screaming and it moved. I scooped him up and a lady came running out asking if she should call 911. I just sat there. Holding him. Trying to comprehend what was going on. Was someone seriously asking me if they should call the paramedics for my baby?!!? Thank God Beth was there. She is a nurse and was my calm. She said she thought Urgent Care or the ER. I knew it wasn't life or death. It was just most likely a horrible break. So we jumped in our cars and I followed her to UC. We ran in to ask questions and see if they would be best or the ER. UC was totally the right choice!

They rushed us in before the waiting room full of people. I was shaking and crying and could hardly even fill out the paper work. Matt arrived and Beth took Dylan home since it was wayyyy past naptime for both boys. They ushered us right in and assessed his foot and sent us to Xray. Shortly after I needed to go to the bathroom. I realized that my jeans and everything were SOAKED. I panicked. Perfect. My son's foot is broken and now my water has broken too. Of course.

So we went back to UC to hear the xray results. The doc seemed pretty amazed also and told us his foot was not broken! It was already bruising and swelling and how does a car sit on a 20 month old's foot and not shatter it!?!? She said their bones are very flexy and bendy at this age. But we know the real reason. It's b/c somehow God was just protecting his foot from all that weight. I should've known. He would just whimper and point to his foot. But he was not screaming or losing it at all! God is so so good.

So we came home, loaded up on tylenol and he took a great nap. While he was napping I went to see Stephanie our midwife. Thank goodness my water did not break. I guess I just peed. Awesome. That's not embarrassing at all. But I'm SO glad I'm not having a baby. I could not leave Landon and not know how he is to go deliver his sister. I just couldn't. I'm so thankful for God's protection over Landon and Laney both today.

Right now, Landon is running around with his truck and laughing and playing with Annie. He acts like nothing ever happened and somehow most of the swelling/bruising is not even there. God is so great and is truly the Great Healer. I'm still in awe and traumatized a bit. But soooooo thankful.

Moral of the story. I feel super pregnant and hormonal and traumatized and pretty much like the worst mom on the planet. But I know deep in my heart that it could've happened to anyone. But Landon will never be walking anywhere ever again. He and Laney will both just have to share and be held together until they are 5.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh so scary! So glad he is okay. :-( Sorry for your scary traumatic day! A little too much stress for a preggo mama for one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis, you are one of the best and protective moms I know. This absolutely could have been ANYONE! Somehow when you and Shay were toddlers, you survived head gashes, chopped off fingers, and choking episodes. God is a great God. He showed His goodness and protection today. Praise Him from whom all blessings flow. I love you all and am grateful all of you are OK!
    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing mom....and he did what most toddlers do and run away when they are called...mine does it ALL the time and it makes me crazy.. I'm so grateful that the Lord was watching over your sweet boy. Remember He loves him more than you do!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh honey, I just read this, I can't even imagine how traumatic this must have been! I'm so glad Landon is ok! You are an amazing Mom, toddlers are so unpredictable! We've had a few pretty traumatic experiences with Rebekah you are surely not alone! love you and are thinking about you and your sweet little ones! Excitedly awaiting Laney's arrival with you! Love, Abigail

    ReplyDelete