I feel like since becoming a mom, sleep is always on the brain! I'm always thinking, is he getting enough, am I, how do I get more?! Landon's been a great sleeper since we brought him home. He started sleeping great stretches from night one and has been ever improving since (minus month 4). He was sleeping 6-8 hrs and eating and going right back to sleep all of month 3 and I thought that was fantastic. Then, month 4 hit. It's a growth spurt time and according to Babywise a very difficult sleep month. I was unprepared. It was like having a newborn all over again. He was up every 2-4 hours wanting to eat...and NOW! So I endured through a week of non-stop eating, a week of sickness and frequent waking b/c of stuffiness, THEN a week of vacation where he woke every 4 hrs or so and couldn't seem to adjust back. When we got back home, it seemed as though he was in a habitual waking pattern. SO we finally started Babywise. Friends had recommended it to me, but after all of our weight gain/milk supply scares I decided against starting it right then. The first 3 nights were horrible. He cried...a lot. Through talking with many friends and researching my face off I found that I was going to stick with it...mostly. We use a paci, we did swaddle (just recently stopped and he didn't even care), we do rock him @ night for a few minutes before we put him down, and he does eat right before bed, AND we don't let him cry it out for that long....but starting sleep training has been liberating to me. I DON'T run to his crib at every little sound he makes...which is wonderful. If he wants to roll around in there and cry a bit before waketime that's fine...I'm not going to worry about it. :) He is now sleeping 11-12 hr nights and taking 3 naps (mostly). He naps for about 4-5 hours a day and is SO much happier now. He has just blossomed into this super sweet content little baby. What a sweetheart he is!! Poor guy just needed some sleep! Haha. Well, now mom is much happier too! I feel so blessed to have such a great sleeper (especially while I'm @ work so I don't feel so bad!). He has his naps where he is impossible and has nights where I have to go pop his paci back in 2-3 times..but overall I am SO pleased with the schedule we've fallen into. I am sure this is just a blessing from above and not actually anything that we've done...but isn't it nice to think every once in a while that you might be doing something right?! :)
Do you feel like you are constantly thinking about sleep? Or is it just me? Any other sleep tricks that you wonderful moms out there have to share??
I am one JEALOUS friend! Saylor sleeps about 4 hours and then has a rough night the rest of the night. I just put her in bed with me after she wakes up and she usually sleeps a lot better... ug but it is exhausting! I tried a sleep training thing, but she is STUBBORN! She would scream and scream and scream and then I would lose it myself. I figured it wasn't worth it right now. I'll have to get tips from you sometime soon:-)
ReplyDelete