I've been doing a Beth Moore bible study with my Mother in law and some women from the VV on Monday mornings. Last Mon we watched her "wearing of the names" sermon and I have not been able to stop thinking about it for the past 8 days. She said that especially as women we "wear" things around that we shouldn't. Things that we have dealt with and been forgiven for, but we "wear" instead of forgiving ourselves for. Things like guilt, shame, etc. The one that really got me was what she called the "coat of not enough". No matter how hard I try or what I do it's "not enough". It's not that anyone ever put this coat on me, I put it on myself. I believe that my husband, family, and friends do not think this of me...at least not on a regular basis. But nonetheless it's something I've struggled with since high school. I was deeply troubled and depressed by it through HS and college. Then I began to experience God's joy and his ability to fill my "gaps" to make me enough. What a wonderful thing to go through with my heavenly Father. This is something that has deeply resonated in my soul and I know is very true...but I forget. Since I've had Landon I've forgotten. I'm constantly so paranoid about if I make enough food for him, if I'm a good enough mother to him, if I can still be a good wife and a good mother at the same time, if I'm doing enough at home while I'm a stay at home mom (I swear I do everything that I can possibly get done in a day with a 2 month old!), if I really am a good enough teacher to go back one day, and if I will ever have a body again that I think could even possibly be considered attractive. These are deep, real feelings of "not enough" that I wear daily. WHY!?! Hasn't God already taken care of these things? If I'm at least making an effort, then I believe I need to leave the rest up to Him. What did worrying ever do for me?! NOTHING. All this to say...I'm choosing to live in freedom. I'm choosing to not wear these things anymore. Instead, I'm going to wear joy and an inner beauty that only comes from being at peace with Christ.
Are you wearing anything that God wants you to give up? That's the big question she asked that is changing me this week. Just think about it. :)
Special thanks to Christine! Talking with you tonight about breastfeeding and baby weight was so helpful to me! I feel like no one has been able to be that real and raw with me about those things and I feel so much better now!! :)
Free 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan (Sept 14-20)
3 days ago
I LOVE Beth Moore. I'm doing her study on the Fruit of the Spirit and am enjoying it all!
ReplyDeleteSo glad we talked! Being a mom makes you put a lot of pressure on yourself, it's so hard! It's the best thing in the world but there is so much emotion connected that it is hard not to be hard on ourselves! Glad you are feeling better! You are doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteSis, great post. I experienced similar things when I went through the Beth Moore series. I hope you will quit being so hard on yourself. You are an amazing mother, wife, daughter and child of the King. Let it all go. Christ died for it all. You are evolving into an amazing woman of God. I love you!
ReplyDelete