Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Our GI visit

Delaney's appointment yesterday went WONDERFULLY! Couldn't have asked for anything better. He was super breastfeeding supportive and told me 3 different times to look him in the eyes and listen and said "you are doing the best thing for you baby. Breast is best. She has reflux and breastmilk is fantastic for reflux babies. You have eliminated potential intolerances from your diet and are not harming her". I SO needed to hear that. I've been so worried. I've had 3 different doctors recommend to formula feed on special formula.We researched it a bit and found nothing that really said that switching would have any kind of a positive impact other than for that first week. So I'm SO glad we didn't listen. He doesn't think that's the best route for her at this point. He ran a test on her dirty diaper and said there's still a very very faint amount of blood in her poop. But it is very minimal and a huge improvement from the amount they found 2 weeks ago at the ped. He thinks soy was it and now that it's clearing our systems that things will only improve. He lowered her prevacid dose which we are happy about. We've been concerned about over-medicating and now that her food situation is under control he really believes her reflux will continue to improve. The only thing that scared me was that she hasn't gained an oz since our hospital visit. I freaked and totally cried. But she's still 40% for weight which is only a 10% drop and she gained height. He said it's not enough to be concerned with but we have a few weight checks scheduled for the next couple weeks to make sure. He said that when an allergy food is clearing the system it is very common to have little or no weight gain until their systems are healed up a bit. 
 I'm just so thankful for everything today. He spent over an hr talking with us and making sure I didn't have any further questions. Every time he had a suggestion he asked me how I felt about it and if I was thinking anything else. It was a very different doctor experience for us. I've never felt like that with any medical person other than our midwife! So it was good. :) 
Now we are praying for improvement as we move on with the new plan that we made together yesterday. She has a weight check in a week and a half and we need to see some movement there for things to continue as we've planned. He also gave us some cards to check her stools for blood at home. At this point it's just trace amounts and so it cannot be seen. So we will run a few of those at home and mail them into the doc and see him if we have any problems. If not, then we will be back in 2 months to talk about her meds and such. So please continue to pray that she gains well and that I can do not just a good job but a PERFECT job at avoiding any and all dairy and soy and get her healed up. Thanks for all the prayers and support! Our prayers were certainly answered yesterday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment